Wetlands for a sustainable Mediterranean region.
MedWet is a regional intergovernmental network operating within the framework of the Ramsar Convention and involving also other key actors, dedicated to promote and support multi-stakeholders policies and actions on the ground for the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of Mediterranean wetlands.
MedWet encourages and supports governments to adopt policies and implement actions on the ground in favour of the conservation and the sustainable use of Mediterranean wetlands. To do this MedWet creates synergies with a wide range of intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
Mediterranean wetlands’ resources and functions are conserved in the long term, and restored when necessary, for the benefit of nature, nations and people.
The MedWet Mission is to ensure and support the effective conservation of the functions and values of Mediterranean wetlands and the sustainable use of their resources and services.
MedWet Primary Goal
To contribute to the achievement of key targets of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)* 2016-2030 in the Mediterranean region through the effective implementation of the strategic plans of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.
*Most relevant SDGs for MedWet are 6, 13, 14 and 15.
MedWet Operational Goals 2016-2020
In order to reach this primary goal, MedWet pursue the following four operational goals, in line with the Ramsar Strategic Plan 2016-2024:
- Addressing the drivers of Mediterranean wetlands loss and degradation;
- Contributing effectively to the conservation and management of Mediterranean Ramsar Sites;
- Encouraging the wise use of all Mediterranean wetlands; and
- Enhancing the implementation of the Ramsar Convention across the Mediterranean region.
The MedWet Values
- Respect for the diversity of nature and cultures
- Science-based action
- Solidarity through mutual support and respect
- Priority given to participatory approaches
- Integrity, efficient use of resources and seeking replicable, long term solutions
- Promoting human well-being and security* and respect of essential human rights (* security = livelihoods for French translation in particular)