Date: 2 December 2021 at 02:00 pm, Bruxelles Time
Location: Zoom (online)
These webinars are organised in the framework of the Wetland-based Solutions project by:
Coastal wetlands provide a range of benefits -ecosystem services- to our daily lives and protect biodiversity. For example, they enable fish and salt production, support bird habitats, and contribute to improve water and soil quality and to capture and sequester carbon. Yet, they remain largely misunderstood, especially when it comes to their contribution to local economies and social development.With the new targets currently being defined at global level (SDGs, Post-2020 Biodiversity framework), governments will be urged to apply measures that recreate resilience and increase benefits to people. In this context, Nature-based Solutions (NbS) in coastal wetlands offer a perfect example of economic development based on natural resources which can be preserved in the long term. Still, today, no common framework exists to highlight and assess the multiple interests of such solutions.In order to help coastal wetland managers, practitioners and decision-makers to understand and implement solutions where nature and socio-economic aspects can live in harmony, we are organising a series of webinars between this autumn and next spring. The webinars will be based on pragmatic approaches with the right tools that will help you to:
- Integrate NbS, based on cost-benefit analysis, in your management plans and land use planning.
- Connect and build dialogues between the different local actors & sectors that take into account needs and benefits for all.
- (Re-)Create a sustainable balance between human needs & natural resources availabilities in your country/region.
WHAT THESE WEBINARS WILL BRING YOU
- A background on Nature-based Solutions and ecosystem services, with a clear understanding of the economics of NbS in the Mediterranean.
- The tools to understand and run a cost-benefit analysis under different scenarios.
- Guidelines for conservation practitioners in the Mediterranean.
- Tools to convince decision-makers and inform policy on the importance to restore and preserve wetlands through a Nature-based Solution approach.